Skip to main content

What I Want To Be When I Grow Up

Once upon a time, there was a young girl with her whole life ahead of her.  She dreamed about what she would be when she grew up.  An actress?  Writer?  Marine biologist? 

And what did she become by the time she grew up?

Who knows?  She is still waiting to grow up.

I find myself still unemployed, still battling my illness, still leaning out the window squinting into the far distance searching for meaning in this world.  Still searching for what I'm supposed to be when I grow up. 

It pains me to think of all the years I spent being something I really am not.  I should have kept the geology deal to a fervent hobby instead of a career.  While I don't wish to go back in time to change my life (because my life lead me to Gracie), I do wonder why I made the choices I made in life.  Why did I choose St. Norbert for math instead of Knox College for writing?  Why did I choose grad school instead of a lucrative entry level position with the USGS down in Florida?  Why did I choose UW-Milwaukee for my Masters in geology instead of Indiana State for acting?

The answer is hard to admit: because it was the easy way, the path of least resistance.  I chose St. Norbert because my brother went there and my aunt and uncle lived nearby.  I chose grad school over the USGS because I was scared of living so far away from my family.  I chose UW-Milwaukee because it was familiar and easy. 

Yet because these choices led me to Dave and Grace, I can't regret them.  But I can learn from them.

I don't want to be an environmental professional anymore if it means travelling.  I just don't.  So I'm not going to make that mistake again.

But where does that leave me?  With a desire to keep on writing, even when the content isn't the best.  As my husband put it, the world renown artists out there didn't become successful overnight.  The Edge of U2 didn't pick up a guitar one day and played like a god. 

I did want to become a writer once upon a time.  I wrote feverishly in my teens into my 20's, but I never finished anything.  I didn't get serious about it.  I turned down Knox College and their writing program for the easy way through life.

Now is my chance.

I spend my days sitting on my couch, punching the keyboard on my second book.  Some days I am uninspired and just stare at my dogs.  But I think what I need to remember is that I'm not going to become an overnight success.  I'm raw metal that needs to be molded and sharpened into a fine blade.  It will take time.  It will be hard. 

I'm not taking the easy way out this time.  I'm terrified, but I'm present.  So let's take the harder path this time, shall we?


Comments

  1. You got this, hard path or not, you got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely not alone in feeling this...scary and sometimes painful growing up. Thanks for being my Inspiration sister!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shattering the Myth of SAHM

Are you looking for advice on being the perfect mom? Are you interested in reading fail-proof ways to keep a tidy home? Do you need delicious, wholly organic foods to your adoring children? Then look elsewhere. This is me.   Standing in the rain, feeding our 3 month old puppy, unshowered, and right before that cat in the patio door escapes to the wild and I have to coax him back in with snacks.  This is also right before I spent no less than 20 minutes encouraging our puppy to poop. This here is a blog where you go when you need a reality check. This is a blog where Pinterest goes to fail. This is a blog that helps me laugh at myself and, in turn, helps you laugh at me too. I'm a temporary housewife, and I want to show you how not perfect most of us are. Case in point: Daily Commute Video #1, where I just wanted to catch random conversations with my 6 year old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8TRSf0XiDc&feature=youtu.be Up later

Meal Planning

At least the good news is that the week is half over. But I'm about to start one of my most loathed chores... Meal planning. I use this miniature little whiteboard to plan.  I write out my ideas, and they're mostly met with general malaise and apathy. Unless there's mac and cheese, then somebody in the house gets super excited. I also use this whiteboard to track what we still have in the freezer. While ambitious and symbolic of a true domestic goddess, you can imagine that this doesn't always work out. Especially on those days where I just don't care. Last week there was a day that I just didn't care. It's frustrating because I really don't have anything else to do so I should care and be all excited about cooking things, but... Nah. So here we go!  Tentative meal plan for the week! I know: I'm amazing.  Side note:  I was about to push publish to this post as I was taking a dogs outside for a phone call to Nature, and Daisy just went and ate

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit