Skip to main content

Happy Little Ghosts

1. I have two posts that I've written but I never hit "Publish" because they are about my condition and they seemed like total downers.  One was even entitled "On Being A Debbie Downer".

Here's the thing: I need to start working with my therapist on accepting this new reality.  It isn't going away.  Medication isn't going to fix it all.  I'm going to be a hot mess some days.  I'm going to have good days.  That's called life, amiright?

2. My therapist cancelled on me today, which I'm 99% okay with.  I've got another appt scheduled on the 26th.

3. I'm doing okay.  I'm not amazing, but I'm not in the pits.  I'm working every day to try to be better.  I read my devotionals, try to eat well, do my little meditations, try to be kind to myself, take my meds.  I need to get exercise on my schedule but it falls under the category of Impossible Task so I only get to it about once per week.  And I can't examine why I'm having trouble with exercise too closely because that just leads into a deep pit of "I suck" and I don't need that part of my brain waking up and start talking. 

4. I've finished the first book and I'm working on my second.  Already 36 pages into it.  Another big thank you to those of you who read it.  Keeping fingers crossed that it gets picked up by somebody.  And if not, figure out a way to get it in print. 

5. Parenting is HARD.  I was in a sour mood yesterday and was snapping at G and at one point she just broke down and expressed that she was a bad girl.  Heartbreaking, and I'm the one who did it.  So we had a good talk about how she's a good girl and me being a jerk doesn't mean she's a bad person.  It means I'm being a jerk.  And I'll work on it.  And I can't think too closely on this either other than consciously being more patient otherwise I start down the horrid path of "I'm a horrible mother" and that pit is even more devastating than the "I suck" pit. 

6.  That's basically what I'm doing right now: avoiding.  I'm avoiding situations that make me vulnerable to negative thoughts.  I can't watch the news, I have to be careful on my FB feed, I have to be careful on what kind of media I consume because it all directly translates into my mood.   It's like a mood diet.  If I consume too much junk, my brain fails me.  If it is too horrible and negative and sad, then I too become horrible and negative and sad.  Another reason to keep seeing my therapist, right?

7. I've already considered making this a ghost of a post and just hitting save instead of publish.  Because I still come from a place of shame and I feel like I've gone back into hiding again.  I'm pretending that this summer didn't happen because I don't want to admit it did happen.  So I guess doing little posts like this and actually hitting publish is a way for me to confess.  Put this dark little part of me out into the world so I cannot deny it exists.  It exists and it haunts me. 

8. But then I'm all like: maybe it can be a happy little ghost like Casper and it doesn't have to be all gloom and doom.  I know being haunted isn't supposed to be this fun little adventure, but what if we did make it a fun little adventure?  What if the ghost of my dark self was hugged and welcomed and acknowledged?  Then I wouldn't feel like I'd have to hide anymore.  I wouldn't have to be ashamed anymore. 

Hi.  This is my dark self.  Let's call her Dori.  She exists.  And she needs a hug.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shattering the Myth of SAHM

Are you looking for advice on being the perfect mom? Are you interested in reading fail-proof ways to keep a tidy home? Do you need delicious, wholly organic foods to your adoring children? Then look elsewhere. This is me.   Standing in the rain, feeding our 3 month old puppy, unshowered, and right before that cat in the patio door escapes to the wild and I have to coax him back in with snacks.  This is also right before I spent no less than 20 minutes encouraging our puppy to poop. This here is a blog where you go when you need a reality check. This is a blog where Pinterest goes to fail. This is a blog that helps me laugh at myself and, in turn, helps you laugh at me too. I'm a temporary housewife, and I want to show you how not perfect most of us are. Case in point: Daily Commute Video #1, where I just wanted to catch random conversations with my 6 year old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8TRSf0XiDc&feature=youtu.be Up later

Meal Planning

At least the good news is that the week is half over. But I'm about to start one of my most loathed chores... Meal planning. I use this miniature little whiteboard to plan.  I write out my ideas, and they're mostly met with general malaise and apathy. Unless there's mac and cheese, then somebody in the house gets super excited. I also use this whiteboard to track what we still have in the freezer. While ambitious and symbolic of a true domestic goddess, you can imagine that this doesn't always work out. Especially on those days where I just don't care. Last week there was a day that I just didn't care. It's frustrating because I really don't have anything else to do so I should care and be all excited about cooking things, but... Nah. So here we go!  Tentative meal plan for the week! I know: I'm amazing.  Side note:  I was about to push publish to this post as I was taking a dogs outside for a phone call to Nature, and Daisy just went and ate

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit