Skip to main content

One Year Later

One year ago, I was in the thick of my disease. I was knee deep in the grimy pits of therapy, facing one of many medication changes, had yet to meet my full time psychiatrist, and sleeping. A lot.

I wasn't eating, wasn't showering, wasn't changing out of my pajamas. I ached in my arms and legs. I cried. I got headaches and stomachaches.

One year later and I'm sort of split on my recovery. On one hand, I'm doing great. Most of the above symptoms have gone away. I don't ache anymore, I don't sleep my days away, I'm holding down a job, I don't cry everyday, I shower, I eat, I get dressed.

A huge part of my recovery is thanks to my support network (shout out to Dave! Respect! And my mom! Woot!), thanks to modern medicine, and thanks to my stubbornness. After everything went down, even in the absolute worst, darkest hours, I had this little thread tethering me to this world. I don't know what it was tied to (Grace? Dave? God?), but for some reason, I clung to it, made the call to my therapist and to Dave, and took the very first, tiny step toward getting better.

So... on the other hand, I carry a bit of shame with me. I try to bury what happened to me last year. I keep telling myself that if only this happened, or if only I decided to do this instead of that, it wouldn't have happened... Even though there is sound medical science behind the existence of my condition... I still blame myself. If only I were stronger somehow, had more faith, were a better person... maybe this wouldn't have happened to our family. Because make no mistake, this didn't just happen to me. Everyone around me suffered. Gracie lost her mom for awhile. Dave lost his partner. My parents lost a daughter. My siblings lost a sister. My friends lost their friend.

I carry that with me everyday. It isn't a dark blanket over my life, but the guilt of it all is a slight haze over me. I can still experience life, even enjoy it, but only through that mist of shame.

Today is World Mental Health Day. I have been so busy with my head in the sand that my husband was the one who had to let me know. He's aware of these important dates more than I am, because he's accepted our reality and embraces it and meets it head on.

I could learn a thing or two from him.

Like our new normal will never go back to what it was and it's ok. That this isn't my fault. That we have a whole book of life together and one rotten chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the story.

Our story will continue. It will be happy and sad, angry and joyful, quiet and loud.

You know, just like life is meant to be.

**************************************************************
If you or someone you love is suffering from mental illness, please visit https://www.nami.org/ for information.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline – Call 800-273-TALK (8255)If you or someone you know is in crisis—whether they are considering suicide or not—please call the toll-free Lifeline at 800-273-TALK (8255) to speak with a trained crisis counselor 24/7.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit

Meal Planning

At least the good news is that the week is half over. But I'm about to start one of my most loathed chores... Meal planning. I use this miniature little whiteboard to plan.  I write out my ideas, and they're mostly met with general malaise and apathy. Unless there's mac and cheese, then somebody in the house gets super excited. I also use this whiteboard to track what we still have in the freezer. While ambitious and symbolic of a true domestic goddess, you can imagine that this doesn't always work out. Especially on those days where I just don't care. Last week there was a day that I just didn't care. It's frustrating because I really don't have anything else to do so I should care and be all excited about cooking things, but... Nah. So here we go!  Tentative meal plan for the week! I know: I'm amazing.  Side note:  I was about to push publish to this post as I was taking a dogs outside for a phone call to Nature, and Daisy just went and ate

Huddled in my cave

I really want to write about the cruise, and I will, I promise.  But something larger has been looming and I feel compelled to write about it, if only to clear my head while also trying to help others.  Know this might be triggering for people like me, so read with care. I can't write when I'm in the middle of an episode.  I can't do much of anything while in an episode.  And I'm not quite out of it yet, but I'm far enough from the eye of the storm to sit down and write about my experience. I have bipolar disorder with a panic disorder.  It means that the everyday ups and downs of people without bipolar can be magnified to a trillion for me.  It means that the everyday ruminations and moments of panic that we all feel is also the proverbial mountain out of a molehill for me. This last episode I liken to driving on the highway of life, following my GPS, using my turn signals, getting the occasional fit of road rage, that sort of thing.  Do you guys get that mom