Skip to main content

Wreck It Ralph is my guru

And also: sugar is the devil. 

Let's start from the beginning.  This being brain sick is for the birds.  Do birds cry?  Didn't Prince make a song about dove's crying?   When they cry, do they like REALLY cry, with tears and boogers coming out of their nose holes?
<off to the Google>

Well how about that!  They do have tear ducts!  But they do not cry.  Not like what I do on my bad days.

The good news is that I had five really lovely normal days of living.  No crying, no self loathing, no gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.  NO DRAMA.  It was wonderful.  I spent time with G and it was... almost easy to be alive.  Sure, I had my responsibilities and normal frustrations, but my reactions to such minor hardships were in proportion to said hardship.  Like on Saturday, we did Christmas cookies.  I accidentally doubled a recipe and almost lost it... but I didn't!  I was stressed and mildly overwhelmed, but I didn't back away from it all and hide in the bathroom to sob it out.

I do that.  That's what this can look like sometimes.  Ugly crying in the fetal position in a bathroom.  Like Kim Kardashian ugly crying.  Eeesh.

But instead, I finished making 88 Oreo truffles as my kid coached me through relaxation techniques.  And that was great.

Sunday was good.  Football (even though my team lost), rest and relaxation.  Even Monday was good, but I started to feel the slip that evening.  I could barely keep my eyes open to read to G at night.  In fact, after one measly chapter, I told her that I wasn't feeling well and had to go to bed (it was 8:30pm).  She lamented that I'm always not feeling well.  I clumsily kissed her on her forehead, exhausted, and told her that my brain is making me tired, and I'm sorry.  That kid is resilient.

I'm thinking that there might be a connection between myself having my good days and how much sugar I consume.  The more sugar, the more likely I have a meltdown.  And the more Kleenex I need.

I just ate four of those Oreo truffles, right?  Right.  And I'm pretty sure that this will allow my mood to suffer, right?  Right.  So the conclusion is that SUGAR IS THE DEVIL.  Even though I know I will likely have a negative reaction to the stuff, I still had mouthful.  Why on earth would I do that to myself?

Therefore I pledge here and now that I will refrain from eating any of the sweets until Christmas Eve!  I'll even keep track on Facebook.  FB keeps you honest.  Right.

So I use more Kleenex than a normal human being.  So I'm having a couple of bad days.  So I might have a sugar sensitivity and I'm finding this out during the holiday season.  So what, I say!  SO WHAT!  I'm alive, and despite whatever obstacles are in my life, I'm so grateful to have made it to Christmas.

I told this to a friend of mine yesterday, and I'm going to repeat it here.  I read in my daily devotionals that I should show gratitude for the problems in my life.  Why would anyone be thankful for their problems?  Because of the teachable moments hidden within.  With every struggle we face, we exercise the mental muscles to keep us limber and strong in the face of adversity.  We gain so much by struggling.  Without suffering, there can be no joy.  Whatever I think is hard right now, no matter the pain, I am grateful for it.  Because I'm alive.  Because when I mess up a recipe, I have enough strength to not flip out and just make 88 cookies instead of only 44.  Because my valleys are surrounded by mountains with spectacular views.  Because as annoying it is to have an emotional nut ball in the house, my family loves me, warts and all.

As Wreck-it Ralph says in the final line of his eponymous movie, if this little kid likes me:

How bad can I be?


Comments

  1. Amen and that little sweet pea loves YOU to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit

Meal Planning

At least the good news is that the week is half over. But I'm about to start one of my most loathed chores... Meal planning. I use this miniature little whiteboard to plan.  I write out my ideas, and they're mostly met with general malaise and apathy. Unless there's mac and cheese, then somebody in the house gets super excited. I also use this whiteboard to track what we still have in the freezer. While ambitious and symbolic of a true domestic goddess, you can imagine that this doesn't always work out. Especially on those days where I just don't care. Last week there was a day that I just didn't care. It's frustrating because I really don't have anything else to do so I should care and be all excited about cooking things, but... Nah. So here we go!  Tentative meal plan for the week! I know: I'm amazing.  Side note:  I was about to push publish to this post as I was taking a dogs outside for a phone call to Nature, and Daisy just went and ate

Shattering the Myth of SAHM

Are you looking for advice on being the perfect mom? Are you interested in reading fail-proof ways to keep a tidy home? Do you need delicious, wholly organic foods to your adoring children? Then look elsewhere. This is me.   Standing in the rain, feeding our 3 month old puppy, unshowered, and right before that cat in the patio door escapes to the wild and I have to coax him back in with snacks.  This is also right before I spent no less than 20 minutes encouraging our puppy to poop. This here is a blog where you go when you need a reality check. This is a blog where Pinterest goes to fail. This is a blog that helps me laugh at myself and, in turn, helps you laugh at me too. I'm a temporary housewife, and I want to show you how not perfect most of us are. Case in point: Daily Commute Video #1, where I just wanted to catch random conversations with my 6 year old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8TRSf0XiDc&feature=youtu.be Up later