Skip to main content

I have writer's block

A friend (shout out, Andrea!) suggested a post on writer's block so I'm writing it here, trying to coax out some sort of narrative to share with y'all.

But I'm blocked.  Blocked the eff UP, people.  I can barely string two sentences together and it is frustrating.  I like to write.  No, I *love* to write, but ...  but...

It's It.  It as in my condition.  It robs you of the joy you find in the things that you normally would enjoy but suddenly it brings you nothing.  Like not even anguish, but just... nothing.  Well, I suppose it brings the mild frustration mentioned before, but otherwise, it's more of a ho-hum reaction.

I am trying to work on a new story that has been in the making since I was a little girl and read The Hobbit for the first time.  I made up this fantastical place where I was the hero and I was tended by a gruff but loving uncle and I was a really good hunter but then my life was turned upside down when I realized I was Special.  I'm trying to write down a grown up version of this but I'm... blocked.  I have all this self doubt.  First off, the narrative sounds childish and it's going to need a looooot of work.  Second, the ideas rattling in my brain are no longer original.  The Hunger Games already did a story about a girl with a bow who kicks ass.  Third, creating a new world in a world with lots of pretend worlds is daunting.  And it makes me truly doubt that I am even a writer.  So I don't write.

This blog is a nice outlet for my Feelings and my occasional observations of the world, but does that make me a writer?  What makes me a writer?  Do I make that decision?  Do I need external validation to finally believe I can write?  Any one can write, just like any one can pick up a phone and take really good pictures, but does that make them a photographer?

You all give me lots of validation.  I'm virtually surrounded by lots of people who enjoy my narrative and I love to make people smile.  That is good.

I've been having thoughts of turning writing into Writing (I'm capitalizing my important words in this post, have you noticed?), but how am I supposed to do this with a bad case of blockage?

All of this is rhetorical, of course.  You have no idea.  I have no idea.  I read somewhere that one just needs to practice and one just needs to read more in order to write more.  So I'm reading several books at once (which, by the way, used to be what depression used to rob me of, but nowadays I've figured out how to read and not feel like I'm neglecting my responsibilities.  Yes, I really was that voracious of a reader).  I'm reading Being Mortal by Atul Gawande, which is my evening read.  I'm listening to Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff by Christopher Moore, which is my working around the house read.  My electronic reads are harder to do considering it's all on my phone, but I'm juggling two reads at the moment, depending on my mood.  The first is Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas, and the second is Rising Strong by Brene Brown.  I've admittedly not read either of these in awhile since I started Being Mortal considering I wanted a hard copy book to read before bedtime instead of having the glow of my phone pummeling my eyes right before I try to sleep.  So they've been my On The Go reads.

So where does this leave me?  With a blog post about writer's block that really doesn't go anywhere.

But at least I can write about writer's block, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huddled in my cave

I really want to write about the cruise, and I will, I promise.  But something larger has been looming and I feel compelled to write about it, if only to clear my head while also trying to help others.  Know this might be triggering for people like me, so read with care. I can't write when I'm in the middle of an episode.  I can't do much of anything while in an episode.  And I'm not quite out of it yet, but I'm far enough from the eye of the storm to sit down and write about my experience. I have bipolar disorder with a panic disorder.  It means that the everyday ups and downs of people without bipolar can be magnified to a trillion for me.  It means that the everyday ruminations and moments of panic that we all feel is also the proverbial mountain out of a molehill for me. This last episode I liken to driving on the highway of life, following my GPS, using my turn signals, getting the occasional fit of road rage, that sort of thing.  Do you guys get that mom

Wreck It Ralph is my guru

And also: sugar is the devil.  Let's start from the beginning.  This being brain sick is for the birds.  Do birds cry?  Didn't Prince make a song about dove's crying ?   When they cry, do they like REALLY cry, with tears and boogers coming out of their nose holes? <off to the Google> Well how about that!  They do have tear ducts!   But they do not cry.  Not like what I do on my bad days. The good news is that I had five really lovely normal days of living.  No crying, no self loathing, no gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.  NO DRAMA.  It was wonderful.  I spent time with G and it was... almost easy to be alive.  Sure, I had my responsibilities and normal frustrations, but my reactions to such minor hardships were in proportion to said hardship.  Like on Saturday, we did Christmas cookies.  I accidentally doubled a recipe and almost lost it... but I didn't!  I was stressed and mildly overwhelmed, but I didn't back away from it all and hide in the ba

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit