Skip to main content

BUNNY ADVENTURE

*WARNING.  The tone of this post is a little bit uneven, but stick with the soppy sadness of this first part.  It gets silly.*

The growing up part of childhood has been more pronounced as of late, and I haven't been collapsing into myself (yet) with the realization of the pace of time or that she's becoming more and more of herself every day.  I mourn the passing of each little milestone, true, but the tears are all colored with a sort of happiness.  I'm glad she's advancing and that she's healthy and she's encountered no more than the normal trials and tribulations of growing up.  However, the the passing of time (when I actually take the time to reflect upon it) is painful because it is something that is lost and can never be recovered fully.

Yes, I remember a lot of things, but even science proves that the finest details of a moment are lost forever once it passes.  "A done bun can't be undone" as they say, and for me, that loss hurts if I think on it too long.

So I back things up and I look at my kid and try to take in that moment.  I don't do it every second or even every day.

But I do, because she is awesome.  She is loved by me and so many people and she's lucky.  I'm lucky.  We are lucky.  The world is lucky because she has colored it.

The days of her fervently waving goodbye to me on the bus are gone.  The moments of her needing help getting dressed are gone.  These are the days when the irreplaceable Bunny is purposefully left behind.  "Mama," she said during the chaos of trying to get her out the door.  "I'm leaving Bunny home today."

I forgot about it.  But then a few minutes ago I walk into the living room and I notice Bunny left on the couch, forgotten and unneeded by my big little girl.

So I go into the room and carefully pick Bunny up and I burst into tears, and I stand there, lost in this moment, sobbing and clutching that well loved stuffed animal and grieve the loss of that time when Bunny was a constant companion, in every way.  She dreamed of Bunny, told stories to Bunny, wrote about Bunny, took Bunny every where.  When Bunny went missing a couple of times, she was inconsolable.  Kind of like me this morning.

Bunny is now on the kitchen table, as I have to go off and adult and I don't want the dogs to tear that stuffie apart.

I don't think anyone is really ready for that.

But you know what I think everyone should be ready for? 

BUNNY ADVENTURE!

*record scratch!*

Say what?

That's right.  I said it.  That's what I get for taking almost 24 hours to write a blog post.  It's true: yesterday morning I stood in my house, clutching Bunny Foo Foo and sobbing my eyes out.  But then inspiration hit me: BUNNY ADVENTURE.

I had to head down to my lovely mother-in-law's (MILs) house for the day and I thought I'd take Bun with me.  So I did.

Safety First, Bunny!

Quick nap on Grandma's couch.  Tough Bunny life.

Time to take the girl for a walk!

Snack time.  Pecan sandies and ginger ale.  Living the high life. 
Pic is a little blurry because she had just thrown a cookie at me.  She's feisty.
Classic lemon to lemonade to vodka and lemonade scenario.  Win win. 




Comments

  1. I guess Bun Bun is going to be your new Elf on the shelf! Creepy but Bun Bun lives!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit

Meal Planning

At least the good news is that the week is half over. But I'm about to start one of my most loathed chores... Meal planning. I use this miniature little whiteboard to plan.  I write out my ideas, and they're mostly met with general malaise and apathy. Unless there's mac and cheese, then somebody in the house gets super excited. I also use this whiteboard to track what we still have in the freezer. While ambitious and symbolic of a true domestic goddess, you can imagine that this doesn't always work out. Especially on those days where I just don't care. Last week there was a day that I just didn't care. It's frustrating because I really don't have anything else to do so I should care and be all excited about cooking things, but... Nah. So here we go!  Tentative meal plan for the week! I know: I'm amazing.  Side note:  I was about to push publish to this post as I was taking a dogs outside for a phone call to Nature, and Daisy just went and ate

Huddled in my cave

I really want to write about the cruise, and I will, I promise.  But something larger has been looming and I feel compelled to write about it, if only to clear my head while also trying to help others.  Know this might be triggering for people like me, so read with care. I can't write when I'm in the middle of an episode.  I can't do much of anything while in an episode.  And I'm not quite out of it yet, but I'm far enough from the eye of the storm to sit down and write about my experience. I have bipolar disorder with a panic disorder.  It means that the everyday ups and downs of people without bipolar can be magnified to a trillion for me.  It means that the everyday ruminations and moments of panic that we all feel is also the proverbial mountain out of a molehill for me. This last episode I liken to driving on the highway of life, following my GPS, using my turn signals, getting the occasional fit of road rage, that sort of thing.  Do you guys get that mom