Skip to main content

Cruising Part 2: Vancouver

Let's start with our port city of Vancouver.  We had the best taxi driver who doubled as a tour guide, giving us the ultimate scoop on Vancity.  The place was just beautiful and green and reminded me a lot of good ol' Wisconsin but with slightly cooler architecture and way better weather.  Sure, it gets pretty gray and rainy during the winter, but with very mild winters and summers?  Sold.

Well, not exactly.  Apparently you have to be in the 1% to live there.  Even small houses in the area are a million smackers.

I took some pictures of this lovely city.  So buckle up! 

 Here is a wastebasket.  Why did I take a picture of a wastebasket?  Because they have a compost bin ATTACHED.  How forward thinking, Canada!

This was a tasty Canadian beer.  It was some sort of a pale ale and I recall enjoying it very much.

This is my daughter and MIL laughing together, which marked the beginning of a very good vacation where grandmother and granddaughter could relax and enjoy each others' company.  Feel free to let loose the "awwws" anytime.  

We had many many MANY good meals had during our voyage, but it all started in a little restaurant in Vancouver with some local salmon.

And calamari.

Vancouver is really walkable and we scored 14K steps our first day.  Admittedly, this included our travel to the city and there were some steps gained in the airport, to be sure.  

Totally got a selfie with this guy.  He's a little emo, but also metal.  So there was a lot of screaming and rage, but with a few breaks to cry quietly in a corner because he just couldn't even.

Very cool library.  I love me some books, so I had to take a picture of it.  You're welcome.

What's a trip to Canada without... TIM HORTON'S???

Or POUTINE???

This is poutine close up.  Ours was a purist variety with french fries, a delectable gravy, and oodles of oozy cheese curds.  It was so good, despite how any palpitations my heart moaned out.

And of course us leaving for the Port and thus saying goodbye to this beautiful city...



See that?  "Bon Voyage."  That's French for "So long, bitches."  No, not really.  Happy voyages!  Which we indeed have.  But that is the next post.

I'm pumping these posts out pretty fast because I am not cleared to return to work yet, but still have time on my hands, so enjoy 'em while they are coming at such a high frequency.  

Stay tuned for actually getting on the boat and the first few days of sailing!

Comments

  1. I think I may want to visit this city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we hit Vancouver last summer it was not green. So dry that every lawn. park, boulevard was yellow and crunched when we walked on it. What a difference a year makes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bullies

When you are in the moment, it is hard to imagine anything more heart wrenching than holding your child when she cries about being bullied.  What is more heart wrenching?  Knowing it is your fault. I've gone through life with my fair share of bullies.  Sometimes it was because I was flat out weird.  But most of the time it was my size.   Even when I wasn't even heavy, I considered myself fat and some of my peers agreed.  They agreed so vehemently that they decided to remind me of my size, especially during gym class.  Later in life, in my 30's, I was actually mooed at.  Seriously.  And it sucked being made fun of because of my looks. However.  One of the glorious parts of being 41 is that you just don't give a shart about what people think of you anymore.  Yes, I'm fat.  I have blue eyes, brown (going silver!) hair, and I am medically defined as being morbidly obese.  I try to remedy that diagnosis because of the health ramifications and not out of vanit

Shattering the Myth of SAHM

Are you looking for advice on being the perfect mom? Are you interested in reading fail-proof ways to keep a tidy home? Do you need delicious, wholly organic foods to your adoring children? Then look elsewhere. This is me.   Standing in the rain, feeding our 3 month old puppy, unshowered, and right before that cat in the patio door escapes to the wild and I have to coax him back in with snacks.  This is also right before I spent no less than 20 minutes encouraging our puppy to poop. This here is a blog where you go when you need a reality check. This is a blog where Pinterest goes to fail. This is a blog that helps me laugh at myself and, in turn, helps you laugh at me too. I'm a temporary housewife, and I want to show you how not perfect most of us are. Case in point: Daily Commute Video #1, where I just wanted to catch random conversations with my 6 year old. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8TRSf0XiDc&feature=youtu.be Up later

Huddled in my cave

I really want to write about the cruise, and I will, I promise.  But something larger has been looming and I feel compelled to write about it, if only to clear my head while also trying to help others.  Know this might be triggering for people like me, so read with care. I can't write when I'm in the middle of an episode.  I can't do much of anything while in an episode.  And I'm not quite out of it yet, but I'm far enough from the eye of the storm to sit down and write about my experience. I have bipolar disorder with a panic disorder.  It means that the everyday ups and downs of people without bipolar can be magnified to a trillion for me.  It means that the everyday ruminations and moments of panic that we all feel is also the proverbial mountain out of a molehill for me. This last episode I liken to driving on the highway of life, following my GPS, using my turn signals, getting the occasional fit of road rage, that sort of thing.  Do you guys get that mom